Germany is lagging behind in reaching transport related targets, it shall focus on rail transport and to cut counterproductive subsidies especially in view of its NECP revision.
– The development of the “Deutschlandtakt” could be a game changer for the shift towards rail.
– The Transport Ministry needs to at least double the funds made available in order to implement a large part of the Deutschlandtakt by 2030.
– Germany needs to get rid of environmentally harmful subsidies.
Germany is lagging behind in reaching transport-related targets. We also lack ideas by our ministry on how to fill the ambition gap. We have two proposals:
- The development of the “Deutschlandtakt” could be a game changer for the shift towards rail: a targeted timetable that attempts to optimally coordinate all connections in order to avoid congestion and long transfer times, already proven in Switzerland. Unfortunately, the expansion is lagging behind the plan. The Transport Ministry needs to at least double the funds made available in order to implement a large part of the Deutschlandtakt by 2030.
- We also need to get rid of environmentally harmful subsidies. A negative example is the tax incentives for e-mobility that were not accompanied by additional tax disadvantages for combustion cars. As a result, the federal budget was faced with ever greater costs that it could not invest in other important CO2 reduction projects. Also, plug-in hybrids are eligible for subsidies, in theoretical use, they can achieve lower CO2 emissions than comparable passenger cars.
This was the reason why the federal government halved the costs of company car taxation for plug-in hybrids. However, since there was no obligation to use the battery of a plug-in hybrid, it happened more and more often that employees bought larger and more expensive cars, collected the tax relief and still did not use the battery. Due to the production and the greater weight of the battery, the cars were consequently even more harmful to the climate than a comparable vehicle of the same class.